Re: Wondering if ~/GNUstep shouldn't be ~/.GNUstep (i.e. hidden..)

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Wondering if ~/GNUstep shouldn't be ~/.GNUstep (i.e. hidden..)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 21:55:10 +0000

On 4 Nov 2014, at 20:06, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> Revisiting something from WAAAAY in the past, I'm wondering if this
> shouldn't be reconsidered....
>
> Given that we have people using tools on Linux such as this one...
>
> https://code.google.com/p/theunarchiver/
>
> WIth issues like this:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/theunarchiver/issues/detail?id=644
>
> Should we at least provide the option to hide the directory or,
> possibly, make it hidden by default?   There's no real reason why it
> needs to be exposed.  Any thoughts guys?

Well my thoughts are ... we already do provide that option don't we?
GNUstep.conf, afaik, allows you to control all the filesystem layout stuff
(though possibly not every option is documented).
And individual users can have their own GNUstep.conf to customise their own
directory layout on a shared system.

Also, gnustep-make provides a set of sample layouts to be incorporated into
GNUstep.conf ... so it's trivial to select the filesystem layout you want at
configure time.

So why not just experiment with a few new layouts.

In the case of the 'unarchiver' issue, I think the very last few words are
correct:  they should report it to their distro ... since it's presumably the
distro who define what layout is being used.
Of course, the distro is just using the default layout ... but if enough of
their users wanted a different one, they might contribute an alternative layout
based on that feedback.