Re: cairo crash on NetBSD/sparc

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: cairo crash on NetBSD/sparc
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 07:30:23 +0100

Hi Fred,

Fred Kiefer wrote:
NSGlsph is not a class, it is just a simple typedef, you should try to output
the values with

p *glyphs

It would also help to include the actual error message, in you case the
segmentation fault, in the debug output.
Most likely it is us who are causing the problem. On the other hand, cairo 1.12
is really old, could you please try to use a more recent version? This will
require to recompile GNUstep back, as we have to check for the cairo version
there.
1.12 is the version that comes with current NetBSD, it is the same I have on x86 too.

I was trying to make Ink crash again, but it wouldn't. I am exporting to another computer though, I will try to analyze this, perhaps it has to do with the Xserver, available fonts or such.

However, while clicking menus and testing out various stuff, I got this crash as soon I did a right-click in the text:

2015-01-05 19:22:49.436 Ink[539] Model file load failed for GSSpellPanel

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
[Switching to LWP 1]
0x2030f2b8 in -[NSTextView(leftovers) rightMouseDown:] (self=0x22f95148,
    _cmd=0x205127cc, theEvent=0x22f35568) at NSTextView.m:5876
5876 if ([sp checkSpellingOfString: word startingAt: 0].location != NSNotFound)

(gdb) p sp
$1 = (struct NSSpellChecker *) 0x0

I suppose that since sp is null, we can't access a member of its struct on SPARC. However why are we even attempting that?

Riccardo