Re: Font issues

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Font issues
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 18:08:53 +0100

Hi,

Lundberg, Johannes wrote:
Hi Riccardo

This is a screenshot from vmware. Ink vs Leafpad, both set to use the same font. The text rendering does not look correct to me. You can see in the font panel how ee, re and ra stick together with no space between. Also, both are 12pt but rendered different sizes.. Maybe some DPI setting that is not correct?
Indeed, your text doesn't render nice. When I compare it to mine, it looks worse. I don' have FreeSans, so I am using Bitstream Vera, but I don't think that is the difference. Kerning and other refinements shouldn't matter, if I look at your screenshot there are really overlapping letters!

I think there is some scaling applied which causes the font to be scaled and the glyph position calculated with a different size, I have seen such behaviour only with the xlib backend when non-scaling fonts are used and the wrong size is used.

Observing your screenshot on my monitor on Mac, though, gives me the impression that the GNUstep fonts 12 are of the correct size and instead Leafpad renders to big (about a size 14 when comparing window-to-window here).

Where these scaling problems come from I don't know.

In my case on X11/ cairo xdpyinfo says I have a 96x96 dpi display, yours?

I tried to make a dump with xwd but I get a an X error if Ink is open! I can't dump with Ink app open, but it works when I close it and just windowmaker is running, isn't that really strange? I'll do some further tests.

Riccardo