Re: GNUstep's lack of progress and Apple's holding back Swift language

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: GNUstep's lack of progress and Apple's holding back Swift language
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 11:40:19 +0100

On 3 Apr 2015, at 00:27, Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that the reason so many people are happy about
> Swift is because it's NOT ObjC, for whatever sense that makes.

From talking to our local Cocoa dev group and a few others, there seems to be a
trend in developers following the same pattern:

1) See Swift, follow the tutorials.
2) Think Swift is amazing, be very excited about it.
3) Try to deal with JSON data in Swift, wonder WTF the language designers were
thinking.

I imagine that there will be another iteration of the language to make dealing
with heterogeneous containers less painful.  Apple still doesn't (as far as I
know) provide a mechanism for creating shared libraries in Swift, so it's not
like we're seeing frameworks (where 90+% of all application code lives) being
stuck on Apple-only platforms.

David

-- Sent from my IBM 1620