Re: Is anyone using -fobjc-gc?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Is anyone using -fobjc-gc?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 10:55:21 +0100

> On 21 Aug 2015, at 10:48, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Apple has deprecated Objective-C GC on OS X a while ago and never supported
> it on iOS, and the memory model made it quite difficult to work with.
> There’s some talk of removing support for it entirely from clang.  Does
> anyone depend on it working with GNUstep?  If so, now would be a good time to
> speak up.

Can I add to this …

I don’t believe anyone is using any form of GC with GNUstep.

While both David and I have put a lot of effort into *two* different sets of GC
support (both Apple compatible and pre-Apple), and therefore I guess have an
emotional investment in it, my objective side says that it just makes the
source code more complex and therefore less maintainable and we’d be better off
removing it.

So, should we remove GC support from GNUstep (as well as saying it’s fine to
remove it from clang)?