Re: base fails to build - exception problem

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: base fails to build - exception problem
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 08:57:54 +0100

> On 27 Aug 2015, at 23:31, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm rebuilding core libraries after the last changes.
> I am building with gcc5, I extra specify that in the make command line:
>
> $ ./configure --with-layout=gnustep --prefix=/ CC=gcc5 CXX=g++5
> LDFLAGS=-Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib/gcc5
>
> When building base I get:
>
> NSException.m: In function '+[NSException initialize]':
> NSException.m:818:3: error: '_objc_unexpected_exception' undeclared
> (first use in this function)
>   _objc_unexpected_exception = callUncaughtHandler;
>
> this was working about 2 months ago, perhaps even more recent. I fear
> it has to do with the recent changes.
> On other computers I use gcc 3 and 4, so it is not that gcc build is
> broken generally.
> What is going wrong?

To get that error, HAVE_UNEXPECTED must be defined but the symbol must be
missing.

That could either be some problem with configure.ac (so you could look in
config.log)
or it could be an issue with using a different compiler/runtime at configure
time and build time.

The things to look at are the compiler selected and the flags controlling which
runtime is used during configuration and build.