Re: PikoPixel hangs on startup

From: Josh Freeman
Subject: Re: PikoPixel hangs on startup
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:55:22 -0400

Hi Riccardo,

   Thanks for the info!

On Oct 22, 2015, at 5:47 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

Hi Josh,

Josh Freeman wrote:
Hi Riccardo,

 Sorry about your PikoPixel issues - can you please provide some more
info to help figure out the Linux issue:

- Which Linux distro & system version? 32bit or 64bit?

This is linux on x86 32bit (gentoo, if it matters)

I've seen some issues that appear to be window-manager specific (just cosmetic, though - no hangs). Usually, knowing the distro gives an idea of which WM is running, but since you're on Gentoo: Which window manager are you using?

There's a GNUstep issue with Compiz WM that can cause similar geometry issues - PikoPixel has workaround code for it in PPGNUstepGlue_CompizWindowManager.m, so a couple things you might try:

- Force PikoPixel to install its Compiz workarounds: Comment-out line 84 in PPGNUstepGlue_CompizWindowManager.m, so it always falls through to calling ppGSGlue_CompizWindowManager_Install (after the app loads):

+ (void) load
{
//    if (WindowManagerIsCompiz())
    {
macroPerformNSObjectSelectorAfterAppLoads (ppGSGlue_CompizWindowManager_Install);
    }
}

- Try a different window manager; PikoPixel runs OK on OpenBox (Raspbian). There are currently some cosmetic issues on Raspbian with fullscreen windows (due to window-bottom decorations), but no hangs that I'm aware of.

Thanks,

Josh

- gcc version?

4.9.3

- GNUstep version? (Distro packages or built from source (checkout date)?)

Built from source, check out date "today", absolutely latest.

- PikoPixel version (original 1.0 beta5, or the +2015-10-12 update)?

Update! I got the sources today.

I think GS should reposition windows and usually it does, so perhaps you
are forcing a size/placement.

If you can chane the resolution of your screen? My laptop has 1024x768

Riccardo