Re: Plans for ahead

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 13:10:59 -0500

Riccardo,

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gregory Casamento wrote:
>>>
>>> I absolutely want "our" menus, they are distinctive and useful and if I
>>> were
>>
>> They are OLD.   More important than their usefulness is what they
>> invoke and that is they make people think that we are NeXTSTEP and
>> OPENSTEP only.  Like it or not our old look is part of our problem.
>> I'm sorry you don't like this fact, but it is based on tons of first
>> hand observation over the last ten years.
>

> I'm sorry you mix look and with interface design. Facts and factoids.

Which are factoids?  All of the observations from people at the
events, on twitter, etc... are based on personal experience.   I hear
it every day.  Not factoids... these are widely held opinions.  I'm
sorry you don't want to believe it.

> Actually, our menus are NEW, they are newer than in-window menus and
> one-menu-bar on the top which came from Mac and Motif/OS2/Windows. They have
> close parents and predecessors (e.g. SGI menus, Amiga menus) but NeXT made
> them consistent.

They are from 1985.  Sorry, they evoke images of the past.

> The interaction with our menus makes NeXT & GNUstep distinctive and as
> trying to port applications back and forth it allows for a unique
> interaction. It allows, for example to have very smooth document based
> applications which are impossible to achieve (as still the latest office
> suite of a big software company proves) with in-window menus.
> It offers the same functionality as a top menu bar, but is more flexible and
> works well with big screens or multiple-screens. We do not need to invent
> things like "tearable menus" and even "palettes" are not strictly necessary.

Distinctive, perhaps.   Perhaps there is a way we could make them more
modern and still keep them next like.  I am not advocating getting rid
of them or going for in-window or menu-bar menus (on the top of the
screen)... what I'm suggesting is something like what was originally
proposed by Jesse a few years ago in the attached file.

> Thus, playing the same song is of no good for anybody.

I would very much like to see our interface changed to something
everyone can be in love with.   This is only good for the project.
Our out of the box experience with users SUCKS ROCKS and this is
something we need to think about.

> Riccardo

GC
--