Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Savannah vs. Gitlab
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 09:49:27 +0100

Hi,

Svetlana A. Tkachenko wrote:
Gitlab is OPEN SOURCE.:)   It is not proprietary.
1) It does not label its frontend's JavaScript with the licenses (C0.0).
2) Gitlab links to about.gitlab.com which sells a proprietary product.
The free GitLab version is bait-and-switch for their so-called
enterprise version which is proprietary software.
3) GitLab does not encourage submissions which are freely licensed (C5).

I will just make one post about this, because mail threads in this ML are becoming toxic again.

I would like to stick to savannah, it just seems appropriate.
When I gave my consensus to switch to git, one of the reasons was actually that we would have it on savannah.

While I consider the "check list" for a hosting service provided by the FSF not only ridiculous, but so toxic that it looks written by fanboys trying to scare any serious user away (like one hosting being being better than the other, because it uses GNU/Linux instead of Linux), my guts are are still against using the free version of a commercial service is not right.

Riccardo