[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Please, no GitHub
Re: Please, no GitHub
Thu, 10 Dec 2015 21:26:37 +0100
Dne 10.12.2015 06:27, Richard Stallman napsal:
GitHub does a number of things that are wrong. It requires users to
So instead of giving people a choice of not running these scripts, you
rather have them use another site that possibly doesn't provide such
functionality at all?
encourages bad licensing practices, such as posting code with no
license (which makes it nonfree), and failing to state the license
clearly. Among free licenses, it encourages weak licenses over
GitHub does not encourage posting code without a license. In its very
simple wizard, it gives you a choice of adding a license file on your
behalf. The default is NONE simply because adding a file means *creating
a commit*, which would cause many people to run into trouble if they had
run 'git init' locally first (git push would fail).
And again, it does not encourage weak licenses. It lists a dozen of
possible licenses with three of the most popular being emphasized. It
gives people a choice instead of pushing a single philosophy. And I say
that as a proponent of GPL, who has never released any of his code under
a BSD, MIT or similar license.
But the licence of GNUstep is clear, so this is no concern.
Those are the flaws I remember, and they are grave. There may be more
I don't recall now.
They are not grave, this is simply nitpicking. Your vision of freedom is
rather absolutistic, since forcing freedom upon others goes against the
very nature of freedom.
GitHub has been tremendously beneficial to free software, especially in
the light of gradual demise of SourceForge, which used to be the hosting
facility of choice for free software.
- Please, no GitHub, Richard Stallman, 2015/12/08
- Re: Please, no GitHub, Kevin \"Ingwie Phoenix\" Ingwersen, 2015/12/08
- Re: Please, no GitHub, Richard Stallman, 2015/12/10
- Re: Please, no GitHub, Derek Fawcus, 2015/12/11
- Re: Please, no GitHub, Maxthon Chan, 2015/12/11
- Re: Please, no GitHub, Richard Stallman, 2015/12/12
- Re: Please, no GitHub, Derek Fawcus, 2015/12/12
- Re: Please, no GitHub, Richard Stallman, 2015/12/13
- Re: Please, no GitHub, Tim Sheridan, 2015/12/13
- Re: Please, no GitHub, Richard Stallman, 2015/12/14
- Re: Please, no GitHub, Luboš Doležel, 2015/12/12