Re: Windows theme should be active by default on Windows...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Windows theme should be active by default on Windows...
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 19:33:03 -0500

I also firmly believe that Cairo shouldn't be an option.  GDI has been deprecated for 10 years now.  It's time to get rid of the GDI based back end.

Hi,

On 2016-02-11 00:01:41 +0100 Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm wondering why we having heard all of these issues from apps which are
in production with the windows theme... not just production but wide spread
production (e.g. TestPlant).

e.g... the only single example you know.

The most evident fault with refresh can be seen with PopUp buttons and Menus. Several (but not *all* of them, why it is obscure) will not update their selection upon.. slection. SO the user can't really see what he selected. Or, if they work isntead, they are surrounded by an ugly border.
This per se is a blocker. I remember there were other issues, but need to check. Right now I only test the theme, while all users stick with the standard theme in production use.

Perhaps your "wide spread" production user never attempted to have a menu that does not fit on a screen and scroll? With an external monitor or a beamer attached?

Perhaps your "wide spread" production user doesn't make extensive use of tables either.

If it's so crashy why has none of this been reported?  Additionally, I

The crash is difficult to reproduce, but it is there. I have people working for hours with a certain application. Using the standard theme, it works. Using the WinUX theme at one point (might be one hour or more) it will have issues finding base and gui DLLs, while cliking or even refreshing the use interface. If it weren't wor the extreme usage that the application gets without the Theme, I wouldn't attribute it to WinUX, but it has been proven by difference on different Windows setups, both Win7 and Win8.

haven't seen a crash in it.   We already have a solution for in-windows
menus which brings up a default document when the theme is active.

That solution is a palliative and is not generic. Not all application are required to have a "default" document, since that works only for Editors and not viewers.

So.... you're point is!?

Simple: it is nice, it can have its uses, but it is absolutely not ready for prime time. Worse: While the standard theme is out of place it works and provides most features, while the WinUX theme will leave the user with a spotty working interface, thus giving the already spotty GS usage a dent.

Given that I spent countless nights (with kind support of a colleague knowledgeable of windows) to figure out why weren't theming properly on windows7 and window8 in a "true native" way but in some sort of legacy mode (and fixing it), I may qualify as interested. But I can't deploy two specific apps with it in production and e.g. other apps like PRICE and LaternaMagica experience glitches with the WinUX native theme.

If bug fixes will happen, perhaps with the next release. If no fixes, then it stays as is.

Riccardo

--
Gregory Casamento
http://ind.ie/phoenix/