Re: Install GNUstep on a fresh Debian Jessie (S1-E2)

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: Re: Install GNUstep on a fresh Debian Jessie (S1-E2)
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 10:51:37 -0500

On Feb 29, 2016 10:30 AM, "Tristan Bellogi" <bellogi@orange.fr> wrote:

> Le 29/02/2016 14:57, Stefan Bidigaray a écrit :
>>

>> I just noticed something from your configure output... Your system is picking up libobjc2, not libobjc2. After checking for all the directories, the script does a check for the library and it is using the GCC version of the library, not the one you built. I would just uninstall gobjc altogether.
>>
> Not sure to really understand:
> picking up libobjc2, not libobjc2
> I suppose you're referencing those two lines:
>

> checking for custom shared objc library... NONE
> checking for the flag to link libobjc... -lobjc

Yeah, that was a typo on my end. I meant your configure script is finding a libobjc, not the libobjc2 library that you should/want to be linking against.

> Anyway there's definitively NO gobjc installed here!

Hmm... Somehow configure is finding that library, though.

> [...]
> checking whether we should use the nonfragile ABI... yes
> checking for the flag to use to do partial linking... -Wl,-r
> checking for the GCC version... version: 4.2
> checking whether the compiler is clang... yes
> checking whether the compiler supports native ObjC exceptions... yes
> checking if the compiler supports autodependencies... yes: gcc version is 4.2 >= 3.0
> checking if the compiler supports precompiled headers... yes
> checking if the compiler requires -shared flag to build for Solaris... yes: gcc version is 4.2 >= 4.0
> checking if we should enable 'make debug=yes' by default... yes
> checking for gmake... no
> checking for gnumake... no
> checking for make... make
> checking for the GNU Make version... version: 4.1
> checking for GNU Make >= 3.79... yes
> checking if GNU Make has the info function... yes
> checking if we should strip makefiles after installation... no
> checking if we should enable support for parallel building... yes
> checking for the version of gnustep-make we are compiling... 2.6.7
> checking for latex2html... no
> checking for bash... /bin/bash
> checking for test... /usr/bin/test
> configure: creating ./config.status
> config.status: creating config-noarch.make
> config.status: creating config.make
> config.status: creating openapp
> config.status: creating opentool
> config.status: creating executable.template
> config.status: creating GNUmakefile
> config.status: creating GNUstep.conf
> config.status: creating GNUstep-strict-v2.conf
> config.status: creating GNUstep.sh
> config.status: creating GNUstep.csh
> config.status: creating fixpath.sh
> config.status: creating gnustep-make.spec
> config.status: creating gnustep-config
> config.status: creating TestFramework/gnustep-tests
> config.status: creating filesystem.make
> config.status: creating filesystem.sh
> config.status: creating filesystem.csh
> config.status: creating gnustep-make-ld.so.conf
> config.status: executing default commands
>
> ylg@marlais:~/Developments/GNUstep/src/make$ sudo -E make install
> Creating system tools directory: /usr/GNUstep/System/Tools
> Creating makefile directories in: /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles
> Installing GNUstep configuration file in /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf
> Installing gnustep-make support software
> Installing makefiles
> Installing Test Framework scripts
> Installing Test Framework support files
> Installing (and compressing) manpages
>
> 4 - ylg@marlais:~/Developments/GNUstep/src/make$ sudo -E make install
>
> PERFORM SOME TESTS (within same terminal window where I do source my ~/.bashrc)
>
> 5 - ylg@marlais:~/Developments/GNUstep/src/make$ gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES
> /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles
>
> --Seems corect isnt' it?
>
> 6 - OK, lets run couple more commands:
> a) echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /home/ylg/GNUstep/Library/Libraries:/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries:/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries:/usr/local/lib

Why do you say it is wrong? This line seems correct to me. You installed into /usr/GNUstep and these are the standard directories for the gnustep layout, which is what you selected at configure time.

> WRONG! Everething on this line are WRONG!
>
> b) ls /usr/GNUstep/
> System
>
> As one may read, my newly created /usr/GNUstep/ dir doesn't contain any Local dir that in its turn, obviously can't contain anything indeed.

It isn't needed, yet. There is no reason why it would exist, at this time.

> Also, as one may have notice that in my 3, I lately have introduce the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the command line...
> So why at the end of the Make building, this PATH has been modified the wrong way since nothing describe here doesn't exist in my system?

The GNUstep.sh script modifies this variable. And you paths all look correct.

> Still I really hope that's nobody's fault but mine but of course I can't see where I'm wrong 'till now...!!!???

What problem, specifically, are you running into at this point? I guess it could be that I'm misunderstanding or overlooking it. As things stand, it looks like your environment is correctly set up and ready to go.