Re: Windows support

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Windows support
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 15:45:48 -0400

My apologies... I prematurely hit send on the previous attempt to reply to this message.

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 6:17 PM, Giah de Barag <gdb@crelg.com> wrote:
To build GNUstep on Windows (where I work) GCC is required and Clang does not work.

​It is possible to get clang working.  I know of one developer who has gotten it working at TestPlant.​

If GNUstep starts becoming incompatible with GCC, it will start breaking GNUstep on Windows.

​This is highly dependent on the GCC team.  GNUstep shouldn't be held back by GCC not adding more modern features to the ObjC language syntax and runtime.   We owe it to our users to provide the best experience.

At present there are no plans to make anything incompatible.​

We have two options in this regard:
1) Implore the GCC team to add features that are needed.
2) Write these features ourselves and hope that they are accepted by the GCC team.

I wish that this not happen and that there be an sufficient transitional overlap period of compatibility.

​If it ever did there would certainly be a transitional period.   The goal, currently, is to be compatible with both.​