Re: lock issues - again

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: lock issues - again
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 10:24:34 +0100

Hi,

On 11/24/16 07:52, Fred Kiefer wrote:
As you probably know this message comes from the update method on NSMenu. There
we validate all menu entries to decide whether the entry should be active or
not. This specifically comes from a menu named „Windows“, most likely our
windows menu, where all he active windows are listed. But NSMenu is only
relevant as it catches the exception

That makes sense: the Windows menu is the only "dynamic" menu. The application is single-threaded (it will spawn threads, but only after some kind of action, not on startup) so GNUstep is fighting against itself.

that gets thrown by NSDistributedLock. The best you could do is add a debugger
breakpoint in the HANDLING code and print out the stack from there. As far as I
remember there is also a way to print the stack of an exception directly from
code, maybe Richard could help here.

That way you could see where and why the exception actually happens. But maybe
you and Richard are already aware of that. in that case just ignore my mail.

On this machine I have seen this error only very rarely, so I cannot easily reproduce and get a stacktrace. Adding a stacktrace printout on lock breakage would be quite useful, I am not aware of how to do that. It could also help understand why on certain setups GWorkspace daemons have the lock issues: I have no idea on how to get a trace of a child process started by an application. Perhaps these lock issues have a common root that we are not seeing right now. Besides that they are annoying, I think we do have a bug: you can't reproduce it and I have setups where it is usually smooth, but on several of my systems I have the issue. I wonder if others have too. Perhaps it depends on the fact that I use GUI apps more than others (not saying it is a GUI issue, just that GUI stresses things more perhaps).

Riccardo