Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

From: Sergii Stoian
Subject: Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 01:28:57 +0200

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 7:36 PM, Bertrand Gmail <bertrand.dekoninck@gmail.com> wrote:

Le 26/11/2017 à 09:27, Graham Lee a écrit :
Hi Sergii,

this is very exciting. For me, the unification of GWorkspace with the window manager alone makes it all worthwhile; having GWorkspace and WindowMaker each produce their own desktop background window and their own Dock made them less useful. Thank you!
I don't think it's GWorkspace but a brand new app called Workspace as in Nextstep.
 That's a choice but I think that this can of integration would be valuable for GWorkspace also. In fact, one thing that I lack, is the ability of GNUstep to integrate non gnustep apps : to give them an app icon who could be handled by GWorkspace or any other NSWorkspace app, to give them a global menu as any other GNUstep app, etc. One can even imagine that GNUstep could give them window decoration and handle the window management.

I've already thought about that style of grabbing non-GNUstep application's menu and show it as GNUstep one like Ubuntu's Unity does it. They call it global menu, right? I need some research in that field. I think I can look into it after 1.0 release of NEXTSPACE. Anyway it's a good idea for TODO list of project.
For now, GWorkspace uses app wrappers and they are clearly lacking this kind of features.

App wrappers is not GWorkspace only solution. It is OpenStep application bundles style. It is possible to read and parse /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files. But there is the desktop design question: where do we place GNOME, GTK, KDE, Qt applications found? I doesn't have answer right now.
Bertrand