Re: Compiling gnustep-make

From: Andreas Fink
Subject: Re: Compiling gnustep-make
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 08:23:32 +0100

You need a better compiler for ObjC.

If you follow these instructions https://github.com/andreasfink/ulib/blob/master/doc/README-Debian9-stretch.txt

it works perfectly ok on Debian 9 using the Debian provided clang 3.8 or 3.9.  I also built a package with llvm/clang/lldb 5.0 for debian which is in my repo. Especially lldb sucks under Linux. The version 5.0 sucks a bit less but its still missing the macros which I know from OS X (such as "po" for print object). For some reasons I can't even print NSStrings properly in the debugger. Apparently Apple has some magic scripts for LLDB which the generic version doesn't have (does anyone happen to know?).

If you want to use llvm 5.0 from my repo:

echo "deb http://repo.universalss7.ch/debian/ stretch universalss7" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/universalss7.list
wget 4 -O - http://repo.universalss7.ch/debian/key.asc |apt-key add -
apt-get update
apt-get install llvm-clang-lldb

        (or more specifically https://repo.universalss7.ch/debian/dists/stretch/universalss7/binary-amd64/llvm-clang-lldb-5.0_amd64.deb)

The same repo also has prebuilt gnustep-make,-base,-gui,-back, -corebase builds built exactly on these instructions (and installs to /usr/local) So if you do apt-get install gnustep-bundle you get them pulled in including all dependencies.