Re: Bugs in gui/back

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: Bugs in gui/back
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 17:42:57 +0200

Hi Riccardo,

What's the quickest and cleanest way to set up a Linux/GNUstep machine on current hardware? Which distro do you recommend? Is there a todo-list somewhere to get from naked hardware to a working GNUstep desktop somewhere?

That opens a can of worms!

However, I have a ThinkPad running Ubuntu 16 with WindowMaker, I took the time this weekend to update everythin, recompile all GNUstep and confirm it works perfectly.
Thus... there must be something specific on your side.

On the specific machine preinstalled with Ubuntu 16 I always got "System program problem detected" panels after logging in. When I click on "Reprot problem" it says "Please enter your password to access problem reports of systems programs". I thought that was due to a smashed installation. But I installed Ubuntu 16.04 from scratch on a VirtualBox virtual machine in the meanwhile to sort out the reported GNUstep problems and got the same error panels there as well. So this really seems to be a generic Ubuntu 16 problem (not machine or installation related). Do you get those as well?

How did you install Window Maker on your Ubuntu 16? I would like to give Freds test program a try under Window Maker to see whether it also shows the wrong behaviour.

Solaris is now just a niche server OS, since there are no more workstations.

If you still have it somewhere though, I created and try to maintain several gnustep packages for it! I never announced it because I still miss some packages, howver, check on https://www.opencsw.org/ All the "core" stuff is there, I am in the process of upgrading the rest.

gnustep_back0.26.0,REV=2018.04.29GNUstep-core back
gnustep_base1.25.1,REV=2018.03.26GNUstep-core base
gnustep_gui0.26.2,REV=2018.04.28GNUstep-core gui
gnustep_make2.7.0,REV=2018.01.30GNUstep-core make

That's cool. Thanks a lot. I will give them a try soon. But for this special project I currently have on the table I need to get window resizing (auto relayouting) running on the special hardware with Ubuntu 16 installed. As you can see in my last few mails the current GNUstep missives here a bit. :-(

Best wishes,

 Andreas