Re: Migrating GNUstep home folder to another computer

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Migrating GNUstep home folder to another computer
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 18:20:08 +0200

Hi,

On 2018-07-24 22:24:19 +0000 Patrick CARDONA <patrick.cardona0@laposte.net> wrote:

It was the same behaviour. As I can understand, GWorkspace checks /etc/mtab only when it loads the desktop. So, when I use the workaround (hide and show again the desktop) this works to show the disk icon. What is strange, is that when I unmount ($ udisksctl unmount -p [device_path]) the disk icon is hidden as expected : so the behaviour is dynamic with unmounting, not at mounting.

your description made me suspicious and I spent several hours debugging the code.
I hope I fixed both yout and my issues.

I ound an additional issue: if a volume is mounted *before* starting GWorkspace it would not get recognized.

If you like, try the attached patch.
I simplified the code and hopefully fixed it. It relied on wrong assumptions, I guess. I did not try it with multipme volumes (e.g, cdrom, usb key, floppy..... multiple USB disks) because I just had one USB device with me on travel currently.

However, with this code I can mound/unomount from the command line and see the device appear/disappear. Parallely, even i the desktop is not showing and a volume gets touched or mounted before GWorkspace it works.

If you want to test before me committing it, go! I did try mounting on FreeBSD and not ubuntu and my SystemPreferences is setup fine to mount automatically, for your information.

Riccardo

<mount-watching.patch>