Re: Crash on app start due to icon

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Crash on app start due to icon
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 15:19:40 +0200

Hi Riccardo,

> Wolfgang Lux wrote:
>> I finally managed to reproduce the crash, once I've noticed that you are
>> compiling on a 32-bit OS rather than 64-bits (any reason for not using
>> 64-bits nowadays?). Setting a breakpoint on the setApplicationIconImage: and
>> then stepping through that method I found that the code crashes here:
>> 2385      miniWindowSize = [GSCurrentServer() iconSize];
>>
>> And stepping into that method the problem is that GSCurrentServer() return a
>> null pointer. I've committed a fix now to handle this case.
>
> It fixes it, I quickly tested on one laptop (NetBSD 8), will test on the rest
> as soon as possible!
>
> I use 32bit when the hardware below is 32bit :) The ThinkPads I worked on
> these weeks were all 32bit indeed, except by change the two 64bit systems I
> used... were runninf FreeBSD! Unlucky coincidence to diagnose.

Ah, okay. I keep forgetting that you like using some ancient hardware (no
offense intended: I still have a 15+ years old PowerBook sitting on my desktop
and it's nice being able to power it up with no hassles when I need it,
although that's not very often nowadays). :-)

> Actually SPARC was 64bit, but it has always issues.

Yes, I was even about to mention that you should be seeing that issue on Sparc,
too. :-)

> I will try my best to test on more systems, including OpenBSD 32bit and 64bit
> before holidays and report back!
>
> I wonder however now if the patch is corect, since Gregory changed
> initialization order. I also wonder more about the behaviour we are having:
>
> - app starts I see a grey icon bouncing in the WM dock
> . once completed, the icon appears

Is that a regression before Greg made his change or did you observe that issue
before as well?

Wolfgang