Re: building GNUstep from scratch

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: building GNUstep from scratch
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 23:46:21 +0200

Hi,

On 21/08/2018 21:29, Scott Christley wrote:
I installed a bunch of dependencies which was fine, including libdispatch and libblockruntime which are hope are not too old. Next, I installed clang 6.0.1 binaries, then tried to compile libobjc2 1.8.1 which is where I've run into trouble. I'm following the basic install instructions:

mkdir Build
cd Build
cmake ..
make

and it is failing with error:

[ 30%] Building C object Test/CMakeFiles/ManyManySelectors_optimised.dir/ManyManySelectors.m.o

cc: error: unrecognized command line option '-fobjc-runtime=gnustep-1.7'

cc: error: unrecognized command line option '-fblocks'

make[2]: *** [Test/CMakeFiles/ManyManySelectors_optimised.dir/ManyManySelectors.m.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [Test/CMakeFiles/ManyManySelectors_optimised.dir/all] Error 2

make: *** [all] Error 2

Do you actually need the "modern" runtime or do you just need current APIs. In case, just stick with GCC.
If you wish libobjc2, then compile everything with clang (and reconfigure/build also gnustep make and base afterwards).

I am having some difficulties with libobjc2 lately, for others it is fine. If you can, get the latest gnustep-make and configure with --library-combo=ng-gnu-gnu and it should be smooth. Richard recently fixed some stuff there.

Riccardo