Re: Some GNUstep discussions in other forums

From: Bertrand Dekoninck
Subject: Re: Some GNUstep discussions in other forums
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 19:22:30 +0100

Le 26 déc. 18 à 12:53, David Chisnall a écrit :

On 25 Dec 2018, at 18:30, Bertrand Dekoninck <bertrand.dekoninck@gmail.com > wrote:

        - port rik to objc1 and have it  up-to-date on ppc.

Is this really a good use of your time? One of the problems with GNUstep is the perception that we’re stuck with a 30-year-old framework and a 20-year-old version of a language (which is somewhat dated even in its latest incarnation). If you care about PowerPC, why not work on supporting a modern Objective-C dialect on PowerPC, rather than on rewriting everything that you want to use in an archaic one?

Obviously. But, the last time I did try to have it work on ppc, I had been stuck and I don't have the knowledge to debug it. Porting to objc1 is a way to learn both the ancient and the new dialects. I've already achieve to understand a few little bits of the language I didn't understand before.

Moreover, GNUstep is stuck on the gcc runtime on several platforms. As far as I know, debian and windows (at least the installer given on gnustep's website) still use it. I'm a little reluctant to reinstall Freebsd ppc64 to test if gnustep builds fine : the last time I did, one of my cpus died during the (long) build of xorg. Do you know if anyone succeeded in building gnustep on this platform ?

As far as I know, clang should be able to target PowerPC and libobjc2 should run happily on PowerPC (though will be missing objc_msgSend and imp_implementationWithBlock unless someone wants to contribute the PowerPC assembly versions - they’re not that hard if you know the target assembly,

I don't. And I don't think I could learn one. I didn't find so much info on the net about this. The texts I had found on the net are way too hard to understand for me.

but I have no interest in PowerPC so no motivation to learn another new ISA just to write a couple of dozen lines of code for it).

I understand this. I had already thought to ask on the debian ppc list, but the few people there are too busy trying to keep the port alive.

Bertrand