Re: Package building

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: Package building
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 09:13:24 +0100

Hi Sergii,

On 5 Nov 2019, at 1:48, Sergii Stoian wrote:

I know NEXTSPACE and really like your project! My goals are somewhat lower currently: I’d be glad if I had some packages for GNU/Linux systems providing the new runtime/clang based libraries. Default Debian packages use gcc and I cannot ship a new app on this basis. I don’t like to be limited to one distribution type though, so I thought about using something like https://openbuildservice.org/ and/or https://launchpad.net/

Oh, now I understand what you’re talking about. I have plan to setup CI environment (Jenkins? Travis?).

yeah, that would be great. Maybe you would like to risk a look into openbuildservice? Having some installable packages built automatically would be great.

If you would build your work for NEXTSPACE in a way like this, a big hurdle regarding the basic libraries would be already achieved of course. Providing an app would be easy and installing an app would be as simple as „apt install my.app“ then.
Current state of the NEXTSPACE is somewhat special… I use particular (not cutting edge) versions of GNUstep libraries (gui and back) with custom patches. So build (or CI) process - along the NEXTSPACE part - should build custom GNUstep libraries. Is it fit to your goals?

Well, currently not. But as soon as you are able to use the upstream libs it would be of great use of course.

Once this is done I would like to build a package applying some nice icons and styling like Bertrand has created and bundled in his repositories.
NEXTSPACE contains its own fonts, icons and mouse cursors with true NeXTSTEP look and feel. I’m afraid it is not what you want to do.

Yeah, it’s not as well. But did you obtain the ability of GNUstep for using themes? That way one could use the software you wrote and create a friendly fork providing a different look and feel. That would allow some merges with the development of the Etoile project f.e. and would be a very nice thing, in my opinion. It seems to me this community is too small for having multiple desktop approaches, considering the aim one should be useful for everyday tasks once.

(To test the libraries I have built I’m trying to make GWorkspace work. I’m doing this to get known to the environment and to check out whether there are bugs within GWorkspace, the libraries or my setup. When you have a new Workspace working once I’d like to test it as well.)
NEXTSPACE has it’s own genuine Workspace, Window Manager, Preferences, Terminal and so on. It’s already working and functional - give it a try. :)

Sounds great. Regarding upstream compatibility see my question/thoughts above.

Johannes