Re: SwiftUI compatibility APIs in GNUstep's graphics stack (Was: Which O

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: SwiftUI compatibility APIs in GNUstep's graphics stack (Was: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 16:58:23 +0000

On Wed 27 Nov 2019 at 16:49, Max Chan <xcvista@me.com> wrote:

Why is it slower though?

I don’t know. It was in 2013. I think Fred followed up on my work and cleaned things up.

But it was much slower and it probably still is. I should rebuild with it again and compare.

But if you ask why, no, I never profiled it in great detail.

(My test systems has 16 amd64 cores and an RX 480 GPU, so I am not familiar with the plight of low end users.)

I just booted my 2009 MB the other day. I also have a Raspberry Pi. But some contributors run non-intel, non-arm hardware with far lower performance characteristics.

None of my machines has 16 cores; I am more than happy with the 4 core (x2 for hyperthreading one).

I would not easily go for a design that assumes “this doesn’t affect me, therefore it’s irrelevant”, at least for GS. Otherwise, if we go for radically divergent architectures, why not throw out AppKit and reimplement the important parts on top of GTK3 or Qt (neither of which, I think, pulls in an OpenGL dependency at this point).