Re: Wayland backend update

From: Ladislav Michl
Subject: Re: Wayland backend update
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 22:23:43 +0100

On Sun, Jan 12, 2020 at 08:21:41PM +0000, Ivan Vučica wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 8:54 AM Ladislav Michl <ladis@linux-mips.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 09:39:57PM +0000, Ivan Vučica wrote:
> > > ...and now actually attaching the patches before the Debian pastes expire.
> >
> > Hmm, sending all the patches inline as a patch serie with nice cover letter
> > was a matter of single patman invocation and it was not done on the purpose.
> > Debian paste have 90 days expiration and that should be enough for patches
> > to land in some git repo. I'll create github fork myself in the worst case
> > :)
>
> I think archiving the patches on the mailing list makes sense. For
> example, I did not get around to reviewing this patch this weekend.

Sure, but it was meant as a gentle push. You can read it as: "You have 1/4 of
a year to do something" :) It is not personal of course, I just think if
there is not enough interest in three months, then people probably do not care
enough.

> I recall trying to dig Sergio's patches last time I wanted to try them
> out being troublesome in some way.

If you do not happed to update your github branch, I'll create clone
myself. Actually your tree was used as a base.

> A GitHub fork will mildly help merging this (if you happen to be a
> GitHub user), but I would personally be fine with patches, so whatever
> you prefer. GitHub PR would help multiple people take a look at the
> patch, too; I'd have created one anyway.

Unfortunately I had to create GitHub account, but I'm happier with mail
and patches.

> > I started copyright assignment process and will notify you once done.
> > Meanwhile
> > we can probably prepare merge, but I'm unsure how to proceed. My suggestion
> > is to squash patches into single one (once polished as it still have issues)
> > as I see no point to merge nonfunctional change and fix it with incremental
> > patches. I hope it is sane way as Sergio is the principal author and the
> > rest
> > is just simple polishment.
>
> I would prefer to merge multiple changes in this instance, to better
> preserve historical authorship information.

Keep in mind that it will break any git-bisect plumbing people might run
on libs-back as you are intentionally creating point in history, where
things even do not compile.

> > Sergio could comment on this:
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnustep-dev/2018-02/msg00006.html
> > (Hmm, now I realize this discussion should probably happen on gnustep-dev
> > list)
>
> I somehow missed that reply from Richard. :-(

It was not relevant anyway. xdg_shell_get_xdg_surface_special() is not present
in wayland, wayland-protocols nor weston git history and tracking style flags
does not show any relationship with maximized or fullscreen surfaces.

We should probably use xdg_surface_get_popup() for menus and similar windows,
but all my attempts to do so crashed Wayland session so far.

Btw, in case you are not aware of https://wayland-book.com/ I recommend
reading it. It is certainly worth $10, but you can read it for free if
you are working on open-source project (condition met :)).

Best regards,
        ladis