Re: plmerge core dumps...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: plmerge core dumps...
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 13:56:35 +0000

> On 11 Feb 2020, at 13:47, David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org> wrote:
>
> On 11/02/2020 12:30, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>> clang -v reported that the normal, system linker was being used
>
> FYI: On most GNU/Linux platforms, BFD is the 'normal, system linker'. For
> example:
>
> $ ld -v
> GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.31.1
>
> This is the BFD linker on a Debian system.
>
> $ ld.gold -v
> GNU gold (GNU Binutils for Debian 2.31.1) 1.16
>
> This is gold on a Debian system.  It is installed by the binutils package,
> but is not installed as the system linker.
>
> $ ld -v
> LLD 8.0.1 (FreeBSD 366581-1200008) (compatible with GNU linkers)
>
> This is LLD on a FreeBSD system.  It is the system linker.

Thanks.
Mine was a CentOS-7 system with 'alternatives' set to use ld.gold
I did have three toolchains installed (which may have confused thngs), but all
three were set to use ld.gold
Only when I removed all copies of ld.bfd was I able to build gnustep-base to
use the new ABI and have it not crash immediately on startup.
My best guess at an explanation is that I did something (in the distant past so
I don't remember) that confused/broke the 'alternatives' system.

Something else worth noting wrt the core dump is that it's quite commonplace,
when building/installing the core libraries, that if something is horribly
broken in base it will show up as soon as you try to build gui and that runs
plmerge: a plmerge segfault could have many causes, and I didn't mean to blame
it on using the new ABI or the bfd linker.