nm not finding __objc_class names Re: Loading bundle resources using GNU

From: Patryk Laurent
Subject: nm not finding __objc_class names Re: Loading bundle resources using GNUstep runtime 2.0
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2020 12:42:49 -0800

Hi,

> On Feb 16, 2020, at 11:17, Johannes Brakensiek <johannes@brakensiek.info>
> wrote:
>
> The cause that looking up a bundle/framework by a linked class name fails is
> that [framework frameworkClasses] returns null as well as frameworkVersion
> returns 0.
>
> Framework classes should be set by the code at lines 888 until 900 but this
> does not work the way it should it seems.
>
> This interface for this is defined in NSBundle.m:
>
> @interface NSObject (PrivateFrameworks)
> + (NSString*) frameworkVersion;
> + (NSString**) frameworkClasses;
> @end

I see the list “frameworkClasses” is meant to be populated during the make
process running “nm *.o -Pg” as part of EXTRACT_CLASS_NAMES_COMMAND. Defined in
target.make, this command is used to look for lines output from nm starting
with “__objc_class_name”.

However, when I tried running nm manually on the objects in ProjectCenter.obj,
grep shows *no* lines containing __objc_class_name.

@David do you have any insight as to why the names of the classes are not be
appearing?  Should they be appearing?

Regards,
Patryk