Re: GWorkspace : mounting removable devices

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GWorkspace : mounting removable devices
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 00:47:19 +0200

On 02/06/2020 19:34, Patrick Cardona wrote:

Well, I try to sumarize the state of mounting on a GNU/Linux system (i.e. actually Raspbian 10.4) GWorkspace is 0.9.4 (07 2016 build) : are the mentionned patches applied on this version ?

I fear I never released something newer. Great part of the fixes however was not in GWorkspace itself, but in gnustep-base.

My commits in GWorkspace are of 1 Aug 2018 regarding those issues.

Are you using latest gnustep-base release?

My tests :

1) Configuration
As You suggested, I am now using System Preferences mount panel and because the usb stick is named CLEPAT, I added this line : "/media/pi/CLEPAT" in the "mount points for removable media".

That is correct. Actually most of this information should come from /etc/mtab

2) I plugged the usb stick
Nothing automated.
Trying : #E from GWorkspace menu:
- Lightning on the stick briefly, but No icon was shown on the desktop

3) Using Hide/Show Desktop :
Nothing happened: I mean No icon was shown on the desktop

4) So I mounted this usb stick in a Terminal window in my userspace :
udisksctl mount -b ${BLOCK}${PARTITION}
Where :
BLOCK=/dev/sdb
PARTITION=1
Nothing happened : I mean No icon was shown on the desktop

5) Using Hide/Show Desktop again :
This time an icon was shown in the right top corner :
- name : CLEPAT (i.e. the usb stick label)
- icon type : a folder (not a drive)

6) Umounting this folder with #d ? I did not try this yet because I had real data on it...

7) Exiting GWorkspace and running it again...
The icon on the right corner has been updated : it was now a hard drive icon...
Curious. Why not the first time ?

Sometimes the incorrect icon is shown for me, but it should work.

I tested on x86 and it works much better for me.

If I have user right to mount the volume (e.g. I can mount it in terminal without sudo) then inserting the USB stick and "check disk" will mount it.

However in any case, both if I have the rights as user and if not, if I mound it in Terminal (possibly with console) I see it popping on the desktop (or, at worse, a check disk is needed)

8) Making a backup of the data with StepSync...
And then I tried umounting the NextStep way :
a) DND of the drive icon on the Trash icon... : the cursor became in the "prohibited" state and nothing happened. b) Selecting the drive icon on the Destop and then #d : the icon was removed and obviously the stick was shutdown.

Nice that you use StepSync, I am working on a nice, hefty update full of features and fixes.

What you describe is strange Does it make any difference using the Trashcan of WindowMaker's dock or GWorkspace's Dock? not that it should....

9) Plugged the usb stick again...
#E... Nothing...
Steps 4-5 again
Integrity of data on the usb stick : OK.
Icon selected and then #d : umounting and shutting down OK.

Is this behaviour as You expected ?

No. For me it works much better (but I am using GIT base and GWorkspace).

I would love to try on Raspbian, I used to test it too. I booted my Raspberry PI 1 but it is running an old version of debian and I cannot update, I get a mirror issue for debian jessie and even worseif I try a jump to buster. the download of apt sources fails on one... and the stupid thin, it is not an entry I see in sources.list

I fear it is downloading the list of the "old" vesion installed and fails. No clue, but I'd prefer an upgrade to a backup & fresh install of course!

Riccardo