Re: Trying to build GNUstep from git repo and clang-9 on Raspbian Buster

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: Trying to build GNUstep from git repo and clang-9 on Raspbian Buster (10.4)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 09:13:28 +0200

Hi Patrick,

On 14 Jun 2020, at 23:15, Patrick Cardona via Discussion list for the GNUstep programming environment wrote:

I tried to make GNUstep from git according to the wiki :
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Building_GNUstep_under_Debian_FreeBSD

I am stuck at this step : building libobjc2.

These are the steps and things done :

Building GNUstep under Raspbian (Buster 10.4) :

Target: armv6k-unknown-linux-gnueabihf

I don’t know the exact cause of your failure, so David might want to add valuable information here.

But afaik some parts of libobjc2 2.0 are built from assembler code. The needed code for the armhf architecture does not exist yet. That architecture is 32bit. If you try the 64bit variant (aarch64) it should work afaik.

If you want to build libobjc2 on armhf you will have to use the older version 1.9 of libobjc (which does not require clang >= 8, but works with older versions of clang as well).

We have a script prepared for this which should install GNUstep by just running it: https://github.com/plaurent/gnustep-build/blob/master/raspbian-10-clang-7.0-runtime-1.9-ARM/GNUstep-buildon-raspbian10.sh

If you are going to use aarch64 this one should work as well: https://github.com/plaurent/gnustep-build/blob/master/debian-10-clang-8.0/GNUstep-20-buildon-debian10.sh

I’d be glad if David could approve this is correct.

Also, it would be very nice if anybody would like to do the missing libobjc2 assembler implementation for armhf. I think this is a common use case as long as the default arch for Raspbian is 32 bit. Even though this arch will be running out of support at some time in the future, of course.

For anybody building libobjc2 on a Debian based platform: Please note there are also some very recent Debian source packages. I have not yet tried to build them, but I think that approach sounds very promising: https://github.com/trunkmaster/nextspace/tree/master/Packaging/Debian (this will only work if you try it on the supported platforms of course).

Cheers
Johannes