Re: GWorkspace : mounting removable devices [RESOLVED]

From: Patrick Cardona
Subject: Re: GWorkspace : mounting removable devices [RESOLVED]
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 22:55:34 +0200

Hi Riccardo,

Finally, I got the removable devices with the expected behaviour.
To solve my issue, I needed to avoid the user CLI command udisksctl with the
folder /media/pi/clepat

I had to use correct /etc/fstab options, i.e: 'users', not 'user', to be
allowed to unmount the media and also I created the target folder /mnt/clepat...

In /etc/fstab, I added this line :

UUID=5B74-A562 /mnt/clepat vfat rw,users,noauto,uid=pi,gid=pi 0

And in the 'SystemPreferences / Volumes', I added this line in the list of the
'mount points for removable media' :

'/mnt/clepat'

Now, behalf this appropriate setup, I can :

1- Mount the device by hand and see the drive icon on the Desktop when I use
the #E command (Tools menu of GWorkspace).
2- I can unmount this media by dragging its icon onto the Recycler icon on the
Dock.

I did the same with another media, and I was able to mount many devices and
remove them as well.

So it is now the behaviour You described...

Regards,

On 2020-06-12 01:40:34 +0200 Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 11/06/2020 20:20, Patrick Cardona via Discussion list for the GNUstep
> programming environment wrote:
>> This my version of GNustep-base on raspbian Buster (10.4) :
>
>> gnustep-base-runtime/stable,now 1.26.0-4+deb10u1 armhf  [installé,
>> automatique]
>>     GNUstep Base library - daemons and tools
>
>> libgnustep-base-dev/stable,now 1.26.0-4+deb10u1 armhf  [installé,
>> automatique]
>>     GNUstep Base header files and development libraries
>
>> libgnustep-base1.26/stable,now 1.26.0-4+deb10u1 armhf  [installé,
>> automatique]
>>     GNUstep Base library
>

> That version should have the necessary fixes, which were made in 2018... I am
> puzzled. SO if you are positive running a self-compiled GWorkspace from GIT
> then you should be fine.
>
> The situation with mount mounts is a little bit more complex and GWorkspace
> tries to be smart with it. It is a little bit more complex than what was on
> OpenStep perhaps and it tries to get along with different mounting systems.
>

> The "Classic" way is easy as follows:
>
> - you have in /etc/fstab an entry of mount points of your interest
>
> - if you have user permission to mount them (mount is not only for superuser!
> it depends on the permission of the device node and mount point, often you
> need to belong to specific groups to be able to do it. e.g. cdrom, floppy,
> disk...)

The 'users' option did it.

> - check disk will "mount it" by issuing the mount command
>
> - to unmount it, you trash it to the bin

It is working now as expected.

> - to help along, you can configure with SystemPreference mount points to be
> checked and considered
>

> However, it may happen (as you are doing) that you mount something with a
> console command or an automount daemon, it can be even done with another
> user.
>
> GWorkspace sometimes detects the mount automatically (thanks to fswatcher)
> and if not "Check disks" should find it, even if it does not need to mount
> it, since it is already there.
>
> You still can attempt to unmount such a volume, but if it was not done with
> your user, you cannot unmount it.

Again, the 'users' option is the answer. ;-)

> So... this is the general scenario, the details are a little bit tricky.
>

> Riccardo

Regards,

--
Bien cordialement,