Re: GNUstep web install script

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep web install script
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 14:14:45 -0400

Nikolaus,

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 12:24 PM H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

> Am 26.08.2020 um 18:11 schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com>:
>
> I am not sure if David Chisnall ever got libobjc2 working on MIPS.

I also have no idea - I was just assuming that it works if not rejected by the script or the build system...

That's a fair assumption since the purpose of this script is to install anywhere GNUstep is supported.  It seems I will need to have it fall back to gcc on architectures that don't support clang or libobjc2.

> I have no way of testing this as i dont own a similar machine

Yes, MIPS is unfortunately quite rare and especially with a RasPi style of hardware (I think it even has a compatible connector)...

> Anyways sharing such experiences may help to make the script and GNUstep better.

True.  Is this on one of the letux devices?  I had one a while ago, but I don't have it anymore.  It got destroyed by my kids (it was a LONG time ago).   Is there any way you might be able to lend me one so that I can test on it?

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2020, 5:03 AM H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:
>
> > Am 24.08.2020 um 01:46 schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com>:
> >
> > /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gnustep/tools-scripts/master/gnustep-web-install)"
>
> I gave it a try on the MIPS JZ4780 CI20 board (where HDMI is working since last week with a v5.9 kernel) with Debian Bullseye.
> Here are some experiences:
>
> 1. curl wasn't installed to start the command - but that is easy to fix
> 2. the script still prints "Get sudo and curl..." - which must have been installed before
> 3. started cloning a lot of files
> 4. there was one message about "warning: Pulling without specifying how to reconcile divergent branches is discouraged." (Cloning into 'tools-make')
> 5. it did install gobjc-10 and clang-9 (and some more packages)
> 6. succeeds: ======== Installing Make...
> 7. fails: ======== Installing libobjc2...
>
>   for example:
>
>   [  6%] Building C object CMakeFiles/objc.dir/statics_loader.c.o
>   [  6%] Building ASM object CMakeFiles/objc.dir/block_trampolines.S.o
>   [  6%] Building ASM object CMakeFiles/objc.dir/objc_msgSend.S.o
>   <instantiation>:1:6: error: invalid operand for instruction
>   move SARG1, SARG0
>      ^
>   /tmp/libobjc2/block_trampolines.S:167/tmp/libobjc2/objc_msgSend.S:14:2: warning: objc_msgSend() not implemented for your architecture [-W#warnings]
>   :2: #warning objc_msgSend() not implemented for your architecture
>    ^
>   1 warning generated.
>   note: while in macro instantiation
>    trampoline SARG0, SARG1
>    ^
>   <instantiation>:2:5: error: invalid operand for instruction
>    lw SARG0, -4096($25)
>     ^
>   /tmp/libobjc2/block_trampolines.S:167:2: note: while in macro instantiation
>    trampoline SARG0, SARG1
>    ^
>   gmake[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/objc.dir/build.make:327: CMakeFiles/objc.dir/block_trampolines.S.o] Error 1
>   gmake[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>   gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/libobjc2/build'

All errors after this point are spurious as this dooms them all. :)

GC
--
Gregory Casamento
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron