Re: I: A window manager written in objective-c: uroswm and gnustep suppo

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: I: A window manager written in objective-c: uroswm and gnustep support problems
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 06:09:55 -0400

Gustavo,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 11:17 PM Gustavo Tavares <gustavotavares@mac.com> wrote:
Hey Greg! Thank you for the info. Replying to you because I find this makes me want to ask:

What’s the difference between a window manager and an NSWorkspace? Or how might they be related?

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nsworkspace?language=objc

NSWorkspace doesn't manage windows.  It manages associations between apps and also manages services.  When an app registers that it handles particular types of files and you use "gopen" (or "open" on a mac/NeXT machine) it's NSWorkspace that handles the opening of the application.

http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Gui/Reference/NSWorkspace.html

To me, it seems like the communication protocol could fit in here.

No.  Can you tell me why you believe that?
On Cocoa, NSWorkspace already has:

@property(readonly, copy) NSArray<NSRunningApplication *> *runningApplications;

NSApplication has an array of Windows.

You could conceivably imagine a category method on NSWorkspace that could give you all the windows.

This would be outside of (and incongruous with) NSWorkspace's responsibilities.

- Then you could add styling that can be sent down from the workspace
- Inagine something like NSWindowArrangement that can be launched from an NSWorkspace and will launch the apps saved to it as well.

It is a misconception that NSWorkspace or "Workspace.app" on the NeXT machine was some sort of window manager.  Again... why have a window manager when the framework can draw it's own windows + decorations?

Would love to what you have in mind!

I don't have anything in mind.  What do you think I have in mind?  I was only describing GNUstep's functionality as it currently IS.

GC