Re: Swift system library for Apple platforms

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Swift system library for Apple platforms
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 10:36:34 +0200

> Am 26.09.2020 um 01:37 schrieb Gerold Rupprecht <geroldr@bluewin.ch>:
>
> Hi,
>
> Apple is now open sourcing and adding Linux support to swift system
> library for Apple platforms.
>
> For details see
>
> https://swift.org/blog/swift-system/
>
> or go directly to the repository at:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-system
>
> I hope some of you will find the above useful.

I have looked a little into it and essentially it is a wrapper for POSIX.

Something we have for a long time as NSFileHandle, NSWorkspace,
NSTask, NSFileManager etc. in the Foundation classes.

So Apple is more and more abandoning the NeXStep/OpenSTEP heritage.

Maybe just to keep the millions of app developers busy and the game running.

BR,
Nikolaus