Re: Problem with the GNUStep packages in FreebSD?

From: Edwin Ancaer
Subject: Re: Problem with the GNUStep packages in FreebSD?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 18:04:24 +0100

Riccardo, Wolfgang,

thanks for having a look. I think that for the packages, everything is not ok, but explainable.
Before the upgrade, the system was still with the previous version of gnustep.
I don't know what went wrong during the upgrade, but after upgrading, wheb I tested with 5 packages that I 'frequently' use, ProjectCenter, Gorm, GNUMail, SimpleAgenda  GWorkspace
I found the following result:
gorm, gorkspace packages worked immediatly after the update (). With pkg info, I get:
libgnustep-gui.so.0.28
 libgnustep-base.so.1.27
           libobjc.so.4.6

simpleagenda, projectcenter and gnumail gave an error
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libgnustep-gui.so.0.27" not found, required by "GNUMail"

I could install SimpleAgenda with pkg install, and that one is also OK
Shared Libs required:
        libgnustep-base.so.1.27
        libgnustep-gui.so.0.28
        libuuid.so.1
        libical.so.3pkg: No package(s) matching gnumail
        libobjc.so.4.6

ProjctCenter and GNUMail seem to have disappeared as package, so no pkg info there. As it is the old application

I have the current versions of libgnuste-gui and libgnustep-base in /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries, and the packages can be reinstalled if necessary. I don't know why some packages disappeared.

But then, I get a linker error while bulding from the ports, and I get that for all applications, also Gorm / GWorkspace, where the package installs ok.
As Wolfgang indicated  this could be due to a wrong version of tlibgnustep-gui.

When I ran   nm -D libgnustep-gui.so, I did not find any of the undefined references, but I must admit that here, I'm argely out of my comfort zone, so it could be a normal situation.

d: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSArray
ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSException
ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSMutableArray
ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSWorkspace
ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSAssertionHandler
ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSMutableString
ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSCharacterSet
ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSFileHandle
ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSOpenPanel
ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSSavePanel
ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSBox
ld: error: ./Framework/ProjectCenter.framework/./libProjectCenter.so: undefined reference to __objc_class_name_NSPopUpButton

What makes it worse is that Eclipse and Java survived the upgrade 🙁

Could it be a problem with -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-1.8 in the link-statement. Shouldn't that have been 2.0 by now?

Edwin