Re: GNUstep is perceived as outdated among other things because of outda

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep is perceived as outdated among other things because of outdated screenshots on our website
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 18:21:10 -0400

Lars,

Hi there GNUsteppers,

I recently had a discussion about GNUstep ( https://www.heise.de/forum/p-40903318/ Google translated: https://www-heise-de.translate.goog/forum/heise-online/Kommentare/Linux-auf-alten-Macs-Intel-Macs-mit-Xubuntu-sicher-weiterbetreiben/GNUstep/posting-40903318/show/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp )  in which I was asked "What tree have you spent the last 20 years on?“ ( https://www.heise.de/forum/p-40925643/ Google translated: https://www-heise-de.translate.goog/forum/heise-online/Kommentare/Linux-auf-alten-Macs-Intel-Macs-mit-Xubuntu-sicher-weiterbetreiben/Re-GNUstep/posting-40925643/show/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp )

The reason for this was a Netscape logo in one of the screenshots there: http://gnustep.org/images/GWorkspace.jpg

What this tells me is that developers, though smart, are incapable of reading, which is, perhaps, the most devastating issue I can think of.  Even more devastating than what you state below.

I agree that we should update our website, but, as most of us are not web developers, many of us don't take the time to do so.   What would be awesome is if someone would actually volunteer to help with this.

While it might be great to still support old computers, the message such screenshots send out to the public is devastating. We should present up to date screenshots with the latest of GNUstep in it to avoid such discussions and improve the way we are recognized.

Not quite as devastating as a developer who has to dig down into the site to find an old screenshot to point to so that he/she can say "look, it's pure nostalgia."  After many years, I have learned that people will think what they want, NO MATTER WHAT WE SAY.

That being said... we REALLY need to update the website.  I am agreeing with you, by the way... I am just saying that, even us, as developers... can sometimes be really stupid.

Kind regards,

Lars

P.S.: Btw, when is the next three monthly video call session (bheron?)
May 7th, 2022... it should be on your calendar if you accepted the invite.

Yours, GC
--
Gregory Casamento
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron