dmidecode-devel

[dmidecode] vpddecode product lookup table dropped

From: Jean Delvare
Subject: [dmidecode] vpddecode product lookup table dropped
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 19:22:37 +0200

Hi all,

After receiving many complaints that vpddecode was reporting incorrect
product names, I had to admit that the lookup table based on the BIOS
build ID wasn't reliable. IBM and Lenovo have been using the same
product code for different products, sometimes even from totally
different product lines. Additionally, only the product codes for
Thinkpad models are publicly available and updated; for other product
lines we had been relying on user reports, which implies late
additions, incomplete list and increased workload.

As a result of these considerations, I finally decided to drop the
lookup table from vpddecode. Providing no product name is IMHO better
than providing inaccurate or wrong data, and this will lower the
maintenance effort as a nice side effect.

--
Jean Delvare