Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr translations: a proposal for a better system

From: Sasa Ostrouska
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr translations: a proposal for a better system
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:29:25 +0200

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Lorenzo Novaro <address@hidden> wrote:
In data martedì 30 aprile 2013 15:09:20, Marcos García ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I do think Dolibarr really needs a new translation system. I think moving
> to the standard gettext will give benefits to the project, like allow using
> UI to translate strings.
Working with .mo/.po files would be great, but it requires a revision of all
php code, probably. As of now it is important to keep translations up to date
and in the future they will be easily converted to other formats if the
opportunity arises.
An in-app UI for translations can be very useful for end users, but I think
that a centralized platform including a revision system is very important to
ensure consistency and quality of translations.

I have already asked once  in the ML ago about that why not using gettext, there is a mail with the answers.
In my opinion it would be also much easier, but would be a big effort to review all the code.

> I also think that the current system it is not intuitive enough to
> encourage people translate Dolibarr. There are also only a few programs to
> translate in Dolibarr's ini-like format because of being (from my point of
> view) non-standard.
Dolibarr's .lang files are really Mozilla Property Files which is not a proper
standard, but is at least supported by transifex.

The problem with current system is to know how to be up to date with the variables, as they are added only in english and french .lang files.
It is difficult to track. But for the rest from my point of view it works.

> For the GUI, I do prefer launchpad than transifex because launchpad is more
> "open", it is not commercial-oriented and has a big community around it but
> I think this is a minor problem...
Yes, you are probably right, but I already use it so I thought to use it for
this project as well.

--
Diciannove Soc. Coop.
Via Luccoli 14/8