[Dolibarr-dev] We need bug fixers, not feature developers !

From: Destailleur Laurent
Subject: [Dolibarr-dev] We need bug fixers, not feature developers !
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 11:59:09 +0100

I used a title that may hurt every developer. This is just to be sure everybody read my note ;-)

Dolibarr is now a very large success among a very large number of users but also developers.
During 3.5 beta and still now, we had received a lot of (too much ?) number of Push request for new feature, but nearly no code to fix bug.
80% of request coming from external developers was new feature. Each request to add feature introduce around 2 bugs (this is an average value). This means to keep the bug ratio to same level we nee to spend 66% of code change (PR) to fix bug and 33% of code change (PR) to add new features.

Because external submission are 80% of PR (Pull Request) to add new feature, we are far away of this ratio. The only one solution we had to not see the bug rate increase dangerously is to have the core team to work ONLY on bug fixes.

This is what happened during all the 3.5 period (so several month). But this means also there is less time to validate "major" pull requests of really intersting new features.
So some of you may see their pull request with status "pending" even several month after submitting them. Sorry for that. And after a long time, i will probably have to discard completely this pull request that can't be merged easily. Sorry 2.

There is now so many people using Dolibarr, that keeping quality and keeping bug rates under control must be a priority, before adding new feature. But this does not mean we will slow down the increase f new feature. This just means that the conclusion is a strange paradox: if you want to help dolibarr project to increase the number of feature, make priority on bugs fix on old feature !
(so bug rate will go down and if bug rate goes down, you will see new feature appears more quickly !)...

Does this means Dolibarr popularity is growing too quickly ? May be, but this is a good news, isn't it ?

All this text to finally thanks all guys (core team and others) that helped me to fix bugs during the 3.5 beta ! and just after the release of 3.5. I hope they will understand it is a bug thanks !

PS: Well 3.5.1 will be released very soon with result of all fixes...

PPS: To find what are opened bugs, just create an account on doliforge.org and go onto this report:
https://doliforge.org/tracker/?atid=246&group_id=144&func=browse
And use the comments of tickets to ask advice on how you can fix a selected bug...

Laurent, Dolibarr main project leader
Google+: https://plus.google.com/+LaurentDestailleur/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Destailleur.Laurent
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/eldy10