Re: [Dolibarr-dev] dol_getmypid

From: Marcos García
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] dol_getmypid
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 12:40:07 +0200

Hi all:

The developer of the TCPDF project, Nicola Asuni, commented in the bug report telling that getmypid will be removed in next release. So I assume we can update the library and replace our changes in 3.7 version.

Check http://sourceforge.net/p/tcpdf/bugs/602/

Regards,

Marcos García
address@hidden

I've commented the problem to the author in the bug report made by Régis in 2011: https://sourceforge.net/p/tcpdf/bugs/602/

We should consider updating TCPDF library in 3.7 once they patch that.

Regards,

Marcos García
address@hidden

I don't think using dol_getmypid in scripts is a wise idea.
The whole purpose of outputting the PID in the CLI is to be able to kill the process. We don't want to display a random number!
People having the right to execute scripts on their hosting should have the right to use the getmypid() function anyway.

Also, the getmypid usage in TCPDF is just to get some entropy to generate a random seed. We could have removed it altogether because there is already quite a lot of entropy in the other parameters inferred.

My 2 cents.

This is a verbatim copy of my comment at https://github.com/Dolibarr/dolibarr/commit/212e9825a3974bbef19f96405c26eae63eb0a828#commitcomment-7252125

Cheers,

Hello Marcos

It come from the french forum (http://www.dolibarr.fr/forum/3-installation/50977-probleme-d-installation-chez-un-hebergeur-gratuit)
Some free hosting service remove getmypid for security reason. As this is not a real must have for dolibarr running, a developper send this pull request, and Laurent integrate it.

Regards
Florian Henry
+33 6 03 76 48 07
address@hidden