Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr 3.7 freeze

From: charles.fr
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr 3.7 freeze
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 22:42:17 +0100

If we reverse your example of increasing time, the good way is to decrease time
between 2 versions and finally made nothing
Maybe 6month it's a good frequency for the developer, but it's not for the
users and our customers who don't want to upgrade his ERP every 6 month for
only 50 new features each (ok 3.7 version have a little more)

Another bad point is the timing of the January major release : many users are
in installation and start using Dolibarr who have just installed at the end of
year

My position is to change the planning and add a release candidate (RC) between
the beta and the stable version. RC version is an official test version for
customer
We diffuse it on Dolibarr website download area between the stable and
pre-release (Besides the alpha and beta version posted on the download area is
3.6 not 3.7)
RC version will permit of dolibarr user (not only developer user to made more
test)

propose the following roadmap

mai YYYY   - Beta Release (version A.B.0 beta) (freeze)
june YYYY   - Release Candidate (version A.B.0 RC)
August YYYY   - Major Release (version A.B.0)
September YYYY   - Major Release (version A.B.1)
october YYYY   - Alpha Release (version A.B+1.0 alpha)

with 8 month for development and 4 month for test

Bien cordialement,
Charles-François BENKE
http://www.benke.fr - 0637056117