Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr 3.7 freeze

From: Marcos García
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Dolibarr 3.7 freeze
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 12:51:23 +0100

But why don't you report bugs in your community forum? I mean, I am a moderator of dolibarr.es forum and end-users post there the problems they are having and I debug them and if I consider there is a bug I report it with all the details required.

Several months ago we talked about upgrading doliforge but it seems that it is no going to happen...

Regards,

Marcos García
address@hidden

Hi,
I consider myself as an end-user of Dolibarr and I have great respect for the small team of developpers of this project. I test beta versions and sometimes even git snapshots. I'm willing to help for tests but if you are an end user and you want to report a bug, it's nearly impossible.
First , you need to look at the known or already reported bugs. That's not easy to find where you have to look for that as there is no public access. When you find what it seems the right place, you just cannot look at them without an account. I found that very weird for an open source project.
Then you can submit a bug which will probably never be assigned or get comments if you're not  a developper. Even if the fix is described in the bug report. I don't blame someone. I just describe the way it currently works. Moreover if you just open an account which will needs days to be validated just to look at the known bugs, your account will be closed after a while.  That's only my experience and I guess many others users have probably given up like myself.
If you want more end users reporting bugs and testing beta/ RC versions, just let them accessing the bugs databases freely , let them know the process of submitting or commenting a bug, let them help as end users. Not everybody can help as a developper. Listening to the end users , being able to get their feedback could be also indeed useful.
There is probably a lot more end users than you think who are willing to help and submit bug report if they think it can be usefull.
As a end user, 1 year seems way too much between 2 releases for me especially when you're waiting for or need a new feature. "Stable" versions will have old bugs and new bugs whatever the release cycle is anyway, I know. It would be more easily accepted if the bugs database was more exhaustive and public.
My €0.02
Francois.