Re: [Dolibarr-dev] New rule for commit comments for Dolibarr pull reques

From: Sasa Ostrouska
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] New rule for commit comments for Dolibarr pull requests
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 11:59:02 +0000

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 1:49 AM, Laurent Destailleur (aka Eldy) <address@hidden> wrote:

To reduce works and increase number of code submissions I can validate without conflict with other code change, this is new rule that apply from now for the all submission of code fixes or enhancements to Dolibarr project, for the develop branch.

* Do not fill anymore the file ChangeLog (yes i said do NOT).
This will reduce seriously the number of conflicts of Pull Requests submitted via GitHub.
Also content was not always correct.

* Instead, when you submit a PR, use a clear comment of your change with the folliwng syntax:

NEW My new feature

or

FIXED #123
or
FIXED i fix this awful bug

or

a free text...

The Changelog will then be generated during release by an extract of all log commits starting with NEW and FIX. Any other change without this will not be reported into changelog but this just means it is not something to mention into Changelog.
Of course to have this working correctly, i may modify during validation step of any PR, the log comment to folow this.

I hope this will reduce number of conflict to manage manually, make Changelog more rigourus and not loosing some entries because they will be generated automatically.

Thanks to follow this rule for all change for develop branch.
For old branch (3.7, 3.6, ...), please continue to follow the changelof as you did by including the file into your PR.

I think this is a great move ! This will in fact speed up things for you Laurent.

Rgds
Saxa