dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Impressions of XNS

From: Matthew Copeland
Subject: Re: [Auth]Impressions of XNS
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:41:44 -0500

> Hmmm... - XNS can be used p2p or with root services, right?
>
> Why not charge a menial charge for root services?

That is exactly what I would like to see avoided.  Can we say DNS?  Who
has control of it once you start down that road.  It seems to me to make
more sense that the authority be part of the information for
initilization.  Once you start playing with "Who holds the root
services?", then you get into the game of company X will only accept
authentication servers from companies that have authentication services
for X,Y, and Z.  You will notice I said company.  That was on purpose.
Companies make deals with other companies.  If you don't specifcally make
it so that they have to deal with individuals, they will ignore the
individuals, and go for the "larger" share of the pie.  Sorry, I have just
seen how root servers can be so easily abused.  (i.e. look at DNS and
control of the root servers.)

Matthew M. Copeland