dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]Re: IDsec specification draft

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Auth]Re: IDsec specification draft
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 05:15:39 -0500

Actually I think I should elaborate further on IDsec. Having had the oppertunity to visit Hans while I was travelling in the Netherlands the end of last month, I already have a good general knowedge of how IDsec works and it's intent. I think everyone in the auth list should, perhaps, after the holidays, take the time to take a closer look over this spec.

IDsec has a workable implimentation of identity services. There already is functional a reference implimentation which will be made available as free software. While certainly not perfect, it does meet and hence explain how to impliment our stated goal of a fully distributed identity services that can operate at any level down to an individuals workstation if so desired, and thereby meets both or technical objectives for a correct functional solution as well as our ethical ones for preserving privacy of user data.

In a practical sense there are some issues in it to be resolved, but none overly large. I also think some aspects of it may make it particularly desirable for commercial vendors to impliment. This I think is also a good thing, for if we were to bring out an identity service, however useful it may be, it is important that commercial interests will want to impliment it, or even do so for motivations far different from ours; aligning commercial interests with ethical ones is very useful in this case.

There are a few potential drawbacks I perceive in the current implimentation, and I would like to talk about the strengths and weeknesses of IDsec more once people have had a chance to comprehend the spec. Perhaps it would also help once the reference implimentation is actually made available and people get a chance to test and playing with it even in it's current form, and this last issue I actually direct back at Hans.

David

Hans Zandbelt wrote:

Doesn't anyone have any comments on the draft spec that I
sent 2 weeks ago? (or should I stop bothering...)

Hans.