dotgnu-auth

[Auth]mds and Barry: MACS authorization

From: John
Subject: [Auth]mds and Barry: MACS authorization
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:56:42 -0400

In reviewing the MACS source code (0.5 CVS; is there a later version available???), and specifically the single login mechanism; I was confronted by two thoughts -

1) Why are the system names, user names, and passwords for other systems stored in the authentication module? Would they not be better stored in the Profile module? Reason being that they're just data - like any other data, but need to be protected self-similarly (skeyed and encrypted). Why use redundant coding?

2) Should the authentication service use PAM on either the front-end (for the MACS login) or on the back-end? To avail ourselves of the many PAM modules already written?

Those are my thoughts for now. Any answers?

John Le'Brecage