Re: [DotGNU]Bending the twig of .NET (large -- sorry)

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Bending the twig of .NET (large -- sorry)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:46:21 -0400

I have looked at the .net CLR documents and I do have to admit I may have some prejudice that influenced what I saw when looking at them. In particular, I was very much impressed by the work done in KAWA to produce a common language virtual runtime, and that was done fundimentally different. It is true and I will grant the CLR stuff is very more than a simple rehash of Visual Basic B-Code and distinct from the JVM, but many of the ideas found in each can be found in the CLR stuff. However, you are correct that I should put those prejudices aside.

David

Martin Coxall wrote:

That is not to say it's a particulary new or "innovate" technology.  CLR is
in fact an old technology and Microsoft's approach is a somewhat poor
implimentation in some regards.  For this reason we should look at
supporting and integrating other VM based environments (like say Java) as
also usable from the DotGNU framework.

The evidence suggest that you believe the above because you want to believe the above, rather than because it's actually true. If we want to "embrace and extend" what Microsoft has achieved, we have to learn to set aside our petty prejudices and realise that Microsoft has a strong, well-engineered and completely open development platform, designed to be suprior to java by some very smart people, and that we are better placed trying to implement it rather than slagging it off.

The "like say Java" comment suggests that you are intentionally ignoring the real technical merits of the Virtual Execution System vs other virtual machines. Read the Mono Runtime pages for more information. In fact, it looks even betters still when we consider the legal benefits (open standard vs Sun licensing bollocks encumbered JVM). Let's not be so dismissive of a technology that will form a very fundamental wodge of project Mono's heart. Best that Mono and dotGNU work together IMHO.

---
Martin
---

"Where laughing and smiling are not allowed"