Re: [DotGNU]third draft for FD press release

From: David I. Lehn
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]third draft for FD press release
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:54:52 -0400

* Tony Stanco <address@hidden> [20010711 08:54]:

> I think the press release is absolutely excellent. Like with free software
> development, free press release development does some amazing things. It is
> an intellectual activity too, after all :)
>
> >  Tony Stanco, founder of FreeDevelopers, calls DotGNU a "very
> >  important strategic project for free software." He adds "It is
> >  probably the battleground where we win or lose against Microsoft
> >  in the next few years."

This statement troubles me.  Who is 'we' and what does it mean to 'win'
or 'lose'?  Could readers get the wrong idea that if DotGNU isn't as
successful as .NET then free software/DotGNU developers will close up
shop and users will just have to give up and use Microsoft products?
Similarly I doubt Microsoft would go broke just because of DotGNU
success.

-dave
--
David I. Lehn <address@hidden>  | http://www.lehn.org/~dlehn/