Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...

From: Mason Ham
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 00:42:54 -0400

Here are my two cents on difference between SOAP and XML-RPC:
1) SOAP attempts to take XML-RPC to the next level by using the XML Scheme
to have more "complex" types than the XML-RPC spec. lets.
2) SOAP tries and solve the namespacing issues with XML-RPC by using
XML-Namespaces.
3) SOAP try's to lay the ground work for the Security of objects ... it will
in the future have things like Authentication in it. The same is true for
both protocols though. They actually use the same mechanisms to achieve it
today ... ie you had pointer in the headers.
4) SOAP is way more difficult for people to learn. That is simply cause you
have to understand all the different types of XML protocols to use it.
XML-RPC is pretty simple to learn. Understand HTTP (both need this),
Understand the XML-RPC types (int,string,float,binary, boolean,
array,struct) and that is pretty much it. The rest is old coding. to be
explicit:

SOAP Payload

<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
  xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
  SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";>
   <SOAP-ENV:Body>
       <m:GetLastTradePrice xmlns:m="Some-URI">
           <symbol>DIS</symbol>
       </m:GetLastTradePrice>
   </SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>