[DotGNU]Re: [Arch]Re: [Auth]a list of what we need the personal Data sys

From: Jeremy Petzold
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: [Arch]Re: [Auth]a list of what we need the personal Data system to do.
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 13:21:10 -0400

I realy don't think that we should make the decision for the people about who holds their information. if they want a third party to do it then they should have the right and the ability to do so. this may have a positive effect as it will creat compotition for "information Banks" I can see subscription services that your information will not be sold, and I see free services that will sell your information. ISPs would also beable to use this as a meathod of getting customers by saying Information hosting is free with a subscrition to their service and they will not sell your data.

I don't know, I Just think the option should be there for the Customer to make, since we are talking about freedom hear, people need to be free to make their own choices.

John wrote:

Some random thoughts.

Jeremy Petzold wrote:

1) hold personal Data (name, address, Phone #, CC#, ect)
2)be capable of holding the Data either Localy or, If desired, remotely
on a providers Server.

I object to the "a provider". Should we not be considering multiple
specialized providers? That is the phone company can hold name and phone
number, UPS can hold the physical address, and so on...

*** No entity should hold more information about another entity in
excess of what they currently hold.***

What dotGNU should be is a way of exchanging that information
efficiently without taking power from the individual.

Random thought: Distributed database relationships... what normal form
is that?

John Le'Brecage