Re: [DotGNU]Ignoring C#

From: Adam Theo
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Ignoring C#
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 22:45:33 -0400

Ron Burk wrote:
> I wonder if there's a middle ground in which one
> ignores C# until there's solid evidence that it's
> garnered more than minor developer support.
> The goal being to avoid helping boost a language
> that might flop on its own if non-Microsoft forces
> didn't endorse it with an implementation.

i have been wondering why you need to re-create the IL/CRL stuff anyway?
i guess this can be answered with "because we want to ensure a
non-microsoft, 100% free software (GPL when possible) .NET alternative,
piece by piece."

i was wondering this because it seems to me that to have a distributed
computing/web serverices platform, that you don't ned to do what java
tried, which was have user's transfer some "write once, run everywhere"
code. what you only need to do is keep these "components" that are
scattered accross the net communicate in a standard (XML)
protocol/language. that way they can share the information and
communicate in a distributed service/subscription model without the
cumbersomes of trying to run code (or bytecode) written on another
machine.

if i am completely missing something, please tell me.