Re: [DotGNU]Ignoring C#

From: miGlanz
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Ignoring C#
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 20:36:57 +0200

Norbert Bollow wrote:

----------
> This isn't entirely clear yet... here are my current ideas:

> I think the current idea is to have a stand-alone daemon (which
> on a unix-based system would run as a non-priveleged process in
> a changeroot jail).

> The client starts a TCP connection to the daemon, and the daemon
> starts a thread for communicating with this daemon.  This thread
> checks whether the client is authorized to access the requested
> service.

> If authorized, the daemon checks whether the client asks to
> execute the service, or to download executable bytecode for
> local execution.

> The second case is relatively trivial.. the daemon simply sends
> the requested bytecode to the client and then the thread exists.

> If server-side execution has been requested, then the daemon
> checks whether the requested executable is available in native
> machine code or not.  (A compiler that translates bytecode to
> native machine code may be available for some but not all
> bytecode formats).

> Then execution of the requested service happens in a separate
> process.  (Depending on the result of the previous check, this
> means either executing a native executable file, or executing
> the bytecode via a virtual machine implementation like a
> bytecode interpreter or JITer).

> The deamon thread remains alive until the child process has
> terminated, so that the daemon thread can signal the child
> process e.g. in case of a breakdown of the TCP connection, etc.

> Greetings, Norbert.

In my opinion it would be simplier and better to make web server
module (or even CGI script), and then invoke any methods provided
by web service throught HTTP/XML. In this way ANY client can
use our web service in very simple way. It just makes HTTP (GET,
POST or SOAP methods) request
(as I wrote in my scheme), and then recives results in clear
XML form. It is very easy to implement such client. Even internet
browser can be such client (but of course it isn't a good
solution). I think that TCP connection isn't necessary.

The server's module can be just a wrapper to "yours" :) deamon.
(By the way, in yours way it will be not WEB service :))
Anyway, I think it's better to make HTTP/XML solution,
especially for clients' writers :)

I also think that web services don't need something like ASP.NET.
It can be compiled to bytecode component, then executed by module or
deamon if there is request. And if client wants to have this service
on his machine, then simply downloads bytecode.

And again excuse my bad english...

--
Kamil Klimkiewicz